Why Cheerios is the Most Misleading Cereal Franchise

 


As a young kid, Cheerios was one of the first cereals I was exposed to. It was also always marketed to me as a very healthy cereal. The company claims to be good for the heart and packed with tons of minerals and vitamins. The cereal was also one of the main cereals given out to students at school and it a very popular snack given to babies when they start eating solids. 

I can say that I have enjoyed eating Cheerios for a long time, especially since the brand comes in a variety of flavors, such as plain, honey nut, chocolate, apple cinnamon, frosted, multigrain, and ancient grain. I also loved the fact that some flavors of Cheerios are gluten- free because I was diagnosed with gluten-sensitivity. 

Despite my liking to Cheerios, after a while of eating it, I started to question whether Cheerios are as healthy as they claim to be. Cheerios don't feel as easily digestible as other cereals and some of their flavors seem way to sweet to me for them to be considered healthy. I also felt that the gluten-free Cheerios were still giving me a gluten allergic reaction.

After doing research, I found that a lot of reputable sources have spoke on the cons of Cheerios. One site that I was on was healthline.com and they stated that Honey Nut Cheerios are high in added sugars with leads to high blood sugar. I find that to be very misleading being that Cheerios has always claimed to be good for the health and that they can help lower cholesterol. 

Despite researchers calling Cheerios out, they are not completely deterring consumers from consuming Cheerios, but they do state that people should eat them in moderate for the sake of they health. I do not think that that should be said about any brands that claimed to be healthy. I personally think that Cheerios should redo a lot of their cereal formulas to fit their healthy brands but that seems very unlikely.

Comments